Book Making, General, Printing

Bringing it all Together – 17th May 2021

The four individual books are now complete.

The covers had had a great deal of consideration given to them, in the end I used silk paper, as a reference to the original silk fabric used as inspiration, which I painted. The text was hand printed and I used the sewing machine to give a line of holes around the edge to represent the unpicked parts of the alteration.

Such a complex pile in order to glue the covers on!

And the books

Unevenly folded
Evenly folded
Flag Book
Reducing in width concertina

The reading list this time looks slim, but there was plenty of gardening and also these books were read cover to cover, as well as holding lots of memories

Whilst I was working through this series of books I thought to myself, that we all alter and adapt, just like the textiles that I am inspired by and that seems to have particular relevance at the moment. May we all look forward to a peaceful and stable future.

Book Making, Printing

Vulnerable to Alteration – 3rd May 2021

Getting to this stage in the process of constructing the second set of books on the ‘Vulnerable to Alteration’ theme seems to have taken ages. It was back in the winter that these prints were made. 

Process Again 8th February 2021 and Back on Track  22nd February, see here and here

I do like to see a project through and here I was hampered by the silver ink being very slow to dry and this led me to the set of postcards that I designed and printed, which were featured in my last blog.

Anyway the ink is now dry and I have been able to fold the books. I found it difficult to retrieve my thoughts, the ‘alteration’ needs to meet certain parameters, the books are each unique, for after all why would you alter a dress to be the same? They had to be different and reduce in style and size and only one print could be used in each book. My initial plans for the design of the books had dissolved a little during the months waiting for the ink to dry, it was therefore necessary to replan and re measure, all this took time.

I chose the papers needed for the constructions

And they are now folded waiting for their covers.

My reading has now progressed to a shorter shelf where there are catalogues from exhibitions, these hold memories of the art work seen and the people who were with me at the time. I’m looking forward to gallivanting again!

Printing

Stitch and Print – 19th April 2021

My 12 ‘Postcards of the Collection’ have been completed, making 36 altogether.

These are the Stitch designs

And these the print designs. 

I decided to work these in red ink as red was the base colour for most of C18th printed fabrics. Different  mordants were use and when  mixed with the madder root (red)  generated a range of colours from pale pink to black.

I labelled and editioned each on the front

And printed onto the reverse.

My reading for the fortnight. I found the first time I had had work published in a book, 1989!